Night of the Living Dead (1968 and 1990)

The original farm house from Night of the Living Dead (1968), from a screencap via Night of the Living Dead Net. Completists can enjoy the blurry old screencap that used to adorn this page here.   The house used in Night of the Living Dead (1966) was a farmhouse located near the Monongahela River and…

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Nightmare on Elm Street house, located at 1428 North Genesee, Los Angeles, CA.     Genesee Street, where Halloween (1978) and Nightmare on Elm Street were filmed.

Phantasm (1979)

  Dunsmuir House, as seen in Phantasm (1979) and Burnt Offerings (1976), among others.  

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

The Griggs House in Granite, MD, from The Blair Witch Project.   The Griggs House, used for the finale of  The Blair Witch Project, was abandoned for many years but allegedly in relatively solid condition until the film was released. After years of movie “fans” taking chunks of the historic 200-year-old house, the state couldn’t…

The Chicken Ranch, House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

  The Chicken Ranch house, originally used for The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982), now sits on the original location of the Psycho house facade. The Psycho facade was first constructed on a hill just behind Universal’s famous Colonial Street, now better known as Wisteria Lane, but was moved immediately prior to the 1983…

The Haunting (1963 and 1999)

Ettington Park, Stratford-Upon-Avon, used for the original 1963 version of The Haunting.     Harlaxton Manor, Lincolnshire, as seen in the 1999 remake of The Haunting

Black Christmas (1974)

The Black Christmas (1974) sorority house, a private residence in Toronto used for the film.   Update: A better photo of the Black Christmas house as it looks today, from JP1958 on Flickr. More about the house can be found here.

The Amityville Horror (1978)

This is the house at 112 Ocean Avenue, Amityville, NY, where the DeFeo murders were committed on November 13, 1974. It was this house that was purchased by the Lutz family in December, 1975, which led them to write their horror novel The Amityville Horror. Note that the infamous eye-shaped windows that used to be…

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

  Then and now: The house at Wykehurst Park, Sussex, used for the exteriors in The Legend of Hell House. Bottom photo courtesy British Listed Buildings.

The Birds (1963)

  Schoolhouse from The Birds. From here.     The Tides Restaurant as it looks today.     The Catholic Church with the schoolhouse to the left. From Leon Turnbull.   Hitch and Hedren just outside the schoolhouse. The church is easily visible on the right. From the Bodega Bay International Short Film Festival page,…